Sunday, November 6, 2022

The McComber Switch – Edited

 In case you didn’t know, I have a number of books that I’ve written and published as Kindle eBooks.  There’s a link at the top of my blog to see what they are.  A few years ago, I decided to remove The McComber Switch from this blog and make it available that way.  But…I never considered the book to have the transgender focus my other books have (and I’m not talking about Baby Bobby now.  That’s another problem I’d like to forget about). 

 This past year I received two very nice, very professional reviews on The McComber Switch, so I decided to give the thing another read though.  As I knew before, despite how long it is, once you get through book one, you’re not going to stop until you get to the end of book four.  What a story!

 I’ve written a lot of extremely long stories on this blog.  The McComber Switch was one of them.  I literally spent years writing and posting the thing, just as I’ve done with some of my other stories.  The story is so long that I had to break it up into four lengthy books: Revenge of the Ducks, The Consequences of Conduct, From the Frying Pan to the Fire, and Fame is a Four Letter Word.  Then, to sweeten the deal, I created one version that was a Complete version that held all four books, and I made the price on that Complete version so that you saved a lot of money buying that over the other book separately.  No surprise, almost everyone goes for the Complete version.  So much so, that the one time in the past when I did do some editing on the story, I never bothered to update the individual books.

 Anyway, the big problem with The McComber Switch was that when I wrote it I used a lot of what I can only call…alternative punctuation.  Which totally worked for me at the time.  Unfortunately, it was just plain wrong!

 I just finished editing The McComber Switch again, and I’ve removed a few thousand examples of that alternative punctuation and corrected it.  For those of you who liked it, don’t worry, there’s still a lot of it in there, but the writing is a lot better now. 

 For the first time, I’ve also completely updated the individual books in the story so they’re up to date as well.  Actually, I just copied and pasted the content from the Complete version into the separate books and republished them.

 For those of you who are interested, or who might have read it before and liked it, I invite you to explore the story again.  It really is a great one!

 My teaser for the story has always been:

 The McComber Switch

To the world, the story began with this:  “Welcome to northern Arkansas.  This is the story of a family that lives here.  It’s a story about courage and stress, love and hatred.  It’s a story about Four Musketeers.  A story about boys and men who love hunting more than life.  A story about an extended family that cares for each other with a passion that is almost furious.  Yet it is also a story about a family that is stressed to the limits with no conceivable way out.  And finally, this is the story of two young twins with the courage and determination to do what nobody wants them to do.”

  To the world, that is the official way this story began.  The truth however was something far different! 

 This is the story of an eleven year old boy and an eleven year old girl.  Twins!  One who refuses to do what he’s supposed to do, and one who refuses to stop doing what she’s not supposed to do.  And so the family, at their wits end, decide to enact a punishment that most would consider criminal.  A punishment that would literally put the twins through hell in order to change their minds and get them to see the light.  Yet it is a punishment of the twin’s own design.  One that the twins themselves asked for – in writing.  The boy would become the girl, and the girl would become the boy.  The twins just thought that nobody would ever go along with it.

 Everyone hated the idea, but no one had a better plan for dealing with the problem.  Everyone was sure that the plan would work.  And everyone was wrong!

 

If you haven’t already done so, I urge you to check the story out.

Karen

No comments: