Tuesday, January 7, 2020

What Should I Do?


I’ve finally figured out that the reason I’m not posting anymore, is because I’ve lost interest in the story.  Sorry.  That’s just the way it goes.  Now I have to figure out what to do about it.

I haven’t lost interest in writing at all.  In fact, I’ve got another book for what I think of as my Transgendered Lives collection in the editing phase right now.  I’ve also started another one that will be about six months behind it. 

But this blog is another question.  For Mercy, I never figured out a reason to make it a good story.  I had no real plot that I liked.  No goal to get to or over.  Yes, there were a few minor sub-plots, but none of them were worthy of becoming anything bigger.  So until I can see a future for this story, I’m going to stop worrying about it.

In the meantime, I’ve been toying with a new idea.  An idea that’s been kicking around in the back of my mind for about a year now.  And by “toying” I mean that I just wrote the first chapter and a half for it.  But like Mercy, I still don’t know the full direction it will be going yet.  Not that I usually do.  Sometimes it takes a few chapters.  But I’m working on a few ideas, so don’t be surprised if very soon you see me start posting a new story here.

The idea of the new story, as yet untitled, is to bring together two characters from some of my pervious and totally unrelated stories.  Right now, the working title I have just to keep the writing pages together, is “Monsters.”  That may be enough to put your imagination to work.  In fact, Monsters may be a good enough name for it.  Or perhaps something related to What Happens in Vegas.  I don’t know.

So the question is, what do I work on for this blog?  Do I go back to trying to figure out what to do with Mercy?  Or do I let my imagination roam as to what two monsters might do, and then maybe get back to Mercy later.  I did that with another story once.  I started it, and then interrupted it, then went back a few years later and re-wrote it, making it a MUCH better story.  Right now, that’s my hope for Mercy, and the best I can offer for you right now.

Don’t forget to smile all day, everyone.  If for no other reason than to make people think you’ve got something wicked on your mind, even when you don’t!

Karen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let your imagine roam.

I sensed something wasn't right about the recent installments of "Mercy." I couldn't quite identify it, but now that you brought it up, I think it was your fading interest in it.

Writing is quite difficult. Sometimes the resistance is just making yourself put in the time, but when your interest fades, I think it's time to either take a break or explore another plot.

Anonymous said...

I would rather see you flourish with writing that you love, than feel committed to writing something that you don't have passion for. Keep up the amazing stories!

Anonymous said...

Listen to your muse. She can be really nasty when you don't.

Kellie said...

I agree, let Mercy rest and do what you love.....