Friday, September 15, 2017

Revenge - Chapter 24



Revenge
By Karen Singer


Chapter 24

Monica’s mind had been busy all night long trying to come up with ways to get her revenge against Steve, and not actually kill him like she had done with her husband.  No, actual murder was out, for the rest of her life.  No matter how justified she had been in murdering her husband, it was still something she couldn’t get over, and never would.  She had taken someone’s life.  Did she deserve to be free and not in prison?  To this day she still wasn’t sure, but she was never going to let someone hurt her again.  And Steve had hurt her – badly!  And now she needed some way to get back at him.  Some way to hurt him as much as he had hurt her…or worse.  In fact, worse would be better.
“Morning Monica,” Diane said cheerily from her small desk as Monica walked into their little office. 
“Morning, Diane,” Monica returned the greeting.
“Any news from the Sorceress yet?”
“I just got here!” Monica replied with a laugh.  “Give me a chance.”
She put her purse down on the desk, pulled a mirror out to check her face and hair, then put them away again.  Only then did she boot up the old computer that the company had given her.  It was an old computer, but it was far better than Monica’s own computer.  And the company’s internet was fast! 
Once she got into her email program, it took her no time to spot the email from the Sorceress.  “Got one,” she announced to Diane before she opened the email. 
Diane hurried over to read over Monica’s shoulder, but what she read drained the blood from her face.

Monica,

I was going to do as you asked and remove all of my control over Steve, but I learned something troubling last night that you need to know about.  Steve went out last night and started looking into buying a gun – with the single purpose of shooting you!  He has an appointment to meet with someone tonight at a gun range in your area for advice on the subject. 

Because of that, I have put a small but temporary control in place over Steve to prevent him from actually harming you.  But it is only a small measure. 

Since you are the one who wants all the control, what do you want me to do?  I will anxiously await your answer in the morning.

The Sorceress

Monica’s first instinct was to get up from her desk, run to her car, and leave the city for good.  Steve wanted to murder her, and she knew perfectly well that he was capable of doing it. 
“My God!” Diane exclaimed.  “What do we do?”
“I don’t know,” Monica replied.  “Call the police?  But we’ve got no proof that he’s intending on killing me.  And if the police don’t have proof, they literally can’t do anything at all!  Trust me.  I know.  Diane, he’ll kill me, and the police can’t stop him.  It’s just like with my…”  But she stopped herself right there.  She had already said too much.
“Your what?” Diane asked, totally surprised by what Monica had already said. 
But Monica couldn’t answer.  In a rush, she got up from her desk and literally ran for the door.  She wasn’t sure where to go.  With tears of fear falling from her eyes, she finally ran to the ladies room, closed herself into a stall, and cried her eyes out.
Diane followed Monica through the halls.  She saw her run into the ladies room.  She saw her crying.  Hesitantly, she followed her inside, but she went no further than the sinks.  She listened as Monica cried inside one of the stalls.  She let her be for a while.  Five minutes later, she finally knocked softly on the stall door.  “It’s just me, Monica,” Diane said softly.  “I’m here if you want.”
“Go away!” Monica cried, the terror still very evident.
“I’ll wait out here instead,” Diane replied.  “You just cry all you want.”  She went back to the sinks to wait.  A minute later, she heard Monica’s crying slow down to an occasional sniffle.  The stall door finally opened and Monica came out.  Diane quickly went to her and hugged her tightly.  “Don’t worry,” she said.  “We’ll figure it out.  Whatever it is.  We won’t let him get you…or me either.  Because he could just as easily go after all of us.”
Monica’s started crying all over again.

--- §§§§§§§§§§ ---

“You going to be okay?” Monica’s boss asked, his voice full of concern.  Monica was back at her desk, but the tears refused to stop.
“She’ll be fine…eventually,” Diane told him. 
“Anything I can help with?” their boss asked.
Diane shook her head.  “Remember the break-in at her apartment?  We just found out that someone may want to do something worse to her.”
“Who?” their boss asked quickly.
Diane shook her head.  “We’re not sure.”
“Call the police!” he suggested.
Diane shook her head again.  “We’ve got no real proof of anything.  Just…something we heard.”
“What?”
“Don’t ask,” Diane told him.  “I think it may be tied up somehow in her past.  Maybe with her ex-husband or something.  We’re not really sure.”
Their boss nodded.  “Some guys just don’t know when to quit.  Take it easy this morning if you need to…or as long as you want.  Just keep me in the loop.  You know I’ll be more than happy to help if you need it.  We all will.”
Monica smiled.  As to the problem being from her ex-husband, that was impossible, but she didn’t need to tell anyone why.  “Thanks,” she replied.  “I…appreciate it.”
Their boss nodded and walked out. 
“So what do we do?” Diane asked.  “The Sorceress said that whatever she had done to him will only last a few days.”
Monica shook her head.  “I don’t know.  I can’t even think right now.”
“Maybe we should get all the others together and talk to them.  Like I said, he could just as easily come after me…or any of the rest of us.”
Monica looked at Diane with a very troubled look on her face.  “Diane, we’ve got to warn them.  We’ve got to tell them…and soon!”

--- §§§§§§§§§§ ---

They all met in Ruth’s small office upstairs, Ruth, Monica, Diane, and Carla.  It was Diane who was able to relay the problem better to all of them.  Monica was still too much of a mess. 
“Damn!” Carla exclaimed.  “Knowing him, he just might do it.”
“So what do we do?” Diane asked.
“Are you sure you want to trust what this Sorceress says?” Ruth asked.  “It could just as well be another attempt on her part to get you to back off with Steve.”
Monica considered it.  “I…don’t really know,” she replied.  “But I just can’t take the chance.  I…can’t!”
Ruth nodded.  “Okay.  So the bottom line is that you’re going to trust this Sorceress woman…at least for now.”
Monica considered it for a minute, then nodded.
Ruth shook her head.  “I don’t believe in magic.  Not at all.  It’s all smoke and mirrors.  But I’ve got to tell you, I’ve never seen anything like she’s done to Steve.  Never!  So I really don’t know what to make of it.  And until I figure it out, I have no choice but to watch with the rest of you until I know how she’s doing it.”
“So what do we do?” Diane asked.
Ruth shook her head.  “If this Sorceress is as powerful as she seems to be, why don’t we ask for her opinion?  Level with her.  See what she suggests.  Although my bet is that she’ll just try to claim Steve all for her own.  But if that solves your problem, then so be it.”
Monica looked around at all of them, then nodded.  “Any other ideas?” she asked.
Nobody had any other suggestions.
“Monica,” Ruth said when nobody had any further suggestions.  “Will you forward all the emails to me between you and the Sorceress?  Maybe I can see something in them that you missed.”
Monica readily agreed.  Ruth only wanted the emails as further information for her now growing file on Steve.

--- §§§§§§§§§§ ---

It was early in the afternoon before Susan received an email from Monica.


Sorceress,

I don’t know what to do.  None of us know what to do.  And none of us have any way of knowing if this threat you warned us about is real or not.  That’s part of our problem.  That and the fact that Steve could just as easily go after any of us as he could just me. 

As much as I’d like to dismiss this threat as something you’ve made up to manipulate things to your own advantage, because of circumstances in my past, I cannot – and I dare not!  That, and I’ve already seen what Steve has done – to me.

For those reasons, I am at my wit’s end, and as much as I hate doing so, I am asking for your advice…no matter what the consequences between us. 

Because of my past, I am a frightened woman now since your last email.  I beg you to tell me just how real this threat is, even though it may mean handing full control of Steve over to you.

Thank you,
Monica
           

Susan read Monica’s email with great interest.  But it was a troubling email.  She couldn’t miss the note of desperation in it.  She had to wonder about the circumstances in Monica’s past that she had alluded to – twice!  Circumstances that evidently left her very frightened. 
The biggest thing that Susan realized from Monica’s email, was that Monica was indeed very frightened of Steve now.  Susan of course had no way of knowing, but if she had to place bets, she’d bet that Monica had a battered past.  Most likely, a husband or lover.  The proof was all over the words in the email. 
As much as she wanted nothing more than to have full control over Steve, she couldn’t simply grab it this way.  She was a trained psychologist.  She couldn’t let Monica rot in such a troubled state.  Since she had been so troubled in her own past, Susan had dedicated her life now to helping others.  She simply couldn’t leave Monica like this – battle over Steve or not.
Preventing Steve from harming Monica was a simple affair, she had already done that in a brief phone call with Karen, telling her to stay in the background and let Steve do whatever he wanted, but don’t let him hurt anyone.  But for selfish reasons, she had told Monica that what she had done to Steve would only last a few days.  So now what should she do?  She quickly wrote back to Monica.

Monica,

Please give me some time to consider a course of action.  You are safe from Steve for now.  I will consider ways to make your safety from him permanent.  For you and your friends as well. 

As to the threat being real, it is so real that I will not take control of Steve away from you.  At least not completely.  I still have the ability to control him in certain ways.  But for now I will do nothing else with him unless you request it.  The important thing now, is to find a way to keep you all safe.

Please allow me time to think.  In the meantime, will you consider telling me about the circumstances in your past that you mentioned?  You didn’t say it, but I’m guessing they concerned a man.  The more information I have, the more I can help.

Sorceress

--- §§§§§§§§§§ ---

Monica was alone when she read the Sorceress’s email.  She was feeling better, but she was still troubled.  The Sorceress had said they were safe for now?  How would she know for sure?  But then, how had she done so many incredible things to Steve already?  As much as she didn’t want to, she had no choice at the moment but to trust what the Sorceress had to say.  But she would still have felt better if there was some way she could get absolute proof. 
The other little matter that the Sorceress had brought up, telling her about her past, that part was definitely out!  Nobody would ever know – if she could help it.

Sorceress,

I have little choice but to trust your word for now.  As much as I hunger for some kind of proof that Steve will never hurt me, or any of us, I know that such proof will be all but impossible. 

As to my past, that is something I will not reveal.

I, and my friends, await your advice anxiously.

Thank you,
Monica

--- §§§§§§§§§§ ---

Steve couldn’t believe it when none of the women even phoned him all day.  In fact, the one time he had seen Diane in the hallways, she had seemed to stop and quickly turn to go another direction the moment she spotted him.  Was he done with them all?  He could only hope.  He knew better though.  That Witch Monica was planning something.  Something evil.  And he had no doubt she’d spring it on him soon.
As he had made plans to do the night before, right after work he drove to the gun club.  He met the man he was supposed to, and spent the next hour learning how to shoot a handgun.  Steve was surprised, it was total fun!  The most fun he’d had in a while.  He now had even more reason to buy himself a gun. 
When he left the gun club, he went straight back to the sporting goods store where he filled out an application to buy a gun.  Before he left, he put his money down on a sweet little model that the guy at the club had recommended.  By the time he left, he knew that in just a few days, he’d have the means to protect himself…and get back at the witch once and for all – with total finality!

--- §§§§§§§§§§ ---

Susan struggled all night with what to do about Monica.  What to do about Monica and Steve.  And things were worse when she read the latest email from Karen explaining what Steve had done at the gun club, and then had actually gone and bought one.  Even though it would be a few days before his gun permit came through, she was very glad she had programmed Karen to make sure he wouldn’t hurt anyone. 
But now she had to figure out what to do about Monica.  Things would have been so much easier if Monica had never entered the picture.  But she was there, and now Susan had to deal with her – and her problem. 
It wasn’t until she woke up Thursday morning that a germ of an idea finally came to her.  She had named herself The Sorceress.  Steve thought of Monica as a witch.  For the past week, she and Monica had been locked in a battle over Steve.  What if…the Witch and the Sorceress joined forces?  What if they worked together?  In fact, since Steve thought Monica was a witch, maybe they could even make that more real for him. 
There was another possibility as well.  She had noticed that Monica wasn’t the least bit afraid of humiliating Steve in similar ways to what she herself was doing.  Perhaps….

--- §§§§§§§§§§ ---

Since Susan was still struggling to get all her ideas sorted out, it was late morning by the time Monica received an email from her.

Monica,

I have a proposal for you.  But first, please rest assured that I have now “fixed” Steve so that he absolutely cannot physically harm anyone.  Of course he doesn’t know that yet.  I must also relay to you that he has applied for a gun permit which he expects to receive in a few days.  He has already purchased a gun and will get it when the permit comes through.  But as I said, other than shooting at targets for fun, he can no longer do anything else with it.  As far as shooting someone, or hurting them by any other physical means, I have rendered him incapable.  I realize this is difficult for you to swallow, but trust me that I have managed it.  And Monica, the things I have now done to Steve for everyone’s protection have nothing at all to do with my proposal below.  Steve can be all too cruel.  Measures had to be taken.

Now for my proposal.  You and I have been fighting against each other, not just for control over Steve, but for the right to punish him for things he has done.  What I am proposing is that we stop fighting each other, and work together instead.  I want to humiliate him as much as humanly possible for the things he’s done to me, and it seems that you have no problem going in a similar direction with him.  Why don’t we join forces?  We can even share ideas and perhaps improve on the ideas of each other. 

Kindly let me know.  But either way, trust me when I tell you that Steve has now been rendered incapable of physically harming any of you.

Thank you,
The Sorceress

Monica didn’t quite know what to make of The Sorceress’s proposal.  How had she fixed him so he couldn’t harm anyone?  But then, how had she been able to do any of the other impossible things to him?  It left her completely baffled.  As the Sorceress herself seemed to be pointing out, there was no way she could know that Steve was “safe” to be around.  But did she dare trust in it?  She had no doubt at all that she couldn’t.  Perhaps she never would. 
Then there was the question about joining forces with her.  That would negate all the satisfaction she would get from punishing Steve herself.  Or would it?  She couldn’t be sure.  Maybe, the Sorceress could help.  She simply didn’t know enough. 
She got up from her desk and went in search of Diane.  She showed Diane the email and the two of them discussed it for a few minutes.  As soon as they got a chance, they phoned Ruth and discussed it with her.  Carla found out shortly afterwards. 
After work, the four of them again occupied the small office shared by Diane and Monica down in the shipping department. 
“I wouldn’t trust anything that woman says,” Ruth offered as they discussed the situation.  “And how do we know if Steve is buying a gun or not?  We don’t!  It could all be made up as far as I’m concerned.”
“That’s the problem, we don’t know,” Carla replied.  “But I for one am completely confounded at the things we’ve actually seen her do.  To be honest, I’m more afraid of her than I think I am of Steve.”
Monica and Diane grudgingly nodded their agreements. 
“So what do we do?” Diane asked.
“I don’t know,” Carla replied.  “It’s your party, Monica.  You’re the one who started all this in the first place.  I just went along for a fun ride.  But then you know me, anything for a good party.”  She smiled.  “And some of this has really been a blast!”
When no one said anything for a moment, Ruth spoke up again.  “I’ve already told you what I think, but now let me tell you what else I think.  I think you should team up with her.  Hell, she has done some really remarkable stuff.  It makes my head spin trying to figure it out.  After what Steve has done to you Monica, I just can’t see him getting away with it…not without some kind of retribution from us…I mean you Monica.  You deserve to see him suffer.  Heck, I want to see him suffer too.  So for what it’s worth, let’s see what this Sorceress has in mind.  I guess we can always say no later on.”
The four women looked at each other, realizing quickly that they were all in agreement.  Monica pulled up her email program and wrote.

Sorceress,

I guess we have no choice but to hope Steve will not try to harm any of us.  It’s either that or use the confession I have to put him into jail immediately, which I’m almost more inclined to do.  The only reason I haven’t done that so far, is because it would bring to light what I and my friends have already done to him.

But I and my friends are now curious to find out what you have in mind if we work together.  Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

Monica

Monica and the others talked for a few more minutes, then began preparing to go home.  Before they walked out, Monica saw another email from The Sorceress come in.  “Wait everyone!” she said quickly.  “We’ve got another email.”

Monica,

Since the Witch and the Sorceress are teaming up, how would you like to be even more of a witch, at least in Steve’s eyes?  In fact, if your friends are interested, we could create the image of a real coven for him to fear.  Steve will have even more reason to fear you as a powerful witch, and my sorcery in the background will make everything happen. 

Let me know if you’re interested.

The Sorceress

The four women looked at each other uncertainly.  “Oh hell,” Carla breathed.  “It sounds like a real party to me.”

Monica quickly typed back.

What do we have to do?

All four women were excited when they went home that night.  The things that the Sorceress had suggested they might need to get were easy.  Unfortunately, beyond gathering up a few simple items they might use if they wanted, the Sorceress had no other information for them.  But somehow, they were all laughing over becoming real witches…at least to Steve.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will there be abdl elements on the story?

Karen Singer said...

Sorry. No abdl elements in this one, but the next story will be loaded with it - if I ever get to finish it. After hurricanes, and job problems and now health issues, it's been a tough go. - Karen

Kellie said...

Hope all is well, have experienced all three myself recently but things do get better. Well maybe not for Steve but he has earned it

Chicago Karen said...

The move the women are making could take things to an even more dangerous level. Steve’s mind is already muddled, and if things reach a breaking point with him, Karen might not be able to stay in control. He’s mean by nature, and now he’s being driven insane. Not a good combination.
And there seems to be an equally unhinged member of the group, Ruth, who’s motives the rest are not aware of.