Thursday, April 25, 2019

Jenni – Delayed


I didn’t know.
I started out thinking that I was writing a simple little murder mystery, but what I got, was something else.
I didn’t know.

Like most of the characters I write about, Jenni made herself known to me in my dreams.  Back in January, she stopped by while I was sleeping and asked if I would write her story.  She told me a little bit, and I was intrigued.  It would be something a little bit different for me.  But then she started hinting at other stories.  She wasn’t just talking about one book, she was talking about multiple books.  But to start, she would only tell me a little about her first story.  And I have to say, the first one sounded like a doozy!
But then, I didn’t know.

So I agreed and started writing her first story – Book one.  And I was right, it was a doozy, and then some.  But by the time I got three quarters through book one, she began hinting at things for Book three.  Book three?  She hadn’t told me anything yet about Book two! 
But then, I didn’t know.

So I finished writing Book one for her, and I was a little shocked when I got to the end, and discovered that wasn’t the end – not by a long shot!  But then, I still didn’t know, because for all the hints she had given me about Book three, she had refused to tell me ANYTHING about Book two.  Book two was a complete blank.  A mystery, where the only clue I had about it was the final lines in Book one.  That should have told me something. 
But as usual, I didn’t know.

So I took those final lines from Book one, and I pasted them into the opening for Book two, and only then did Jenni begin to reveal what was in Book two.  Only then did she unfold that part of her story.  And I nearly died!
But then, before that, I didn’t know.

In Book two, Jenni asked me to do the unthinkable.  She told me about what I never thought should be possible.  And she asked me to write it all down so everyone could know what she went through.  And that was just Book Two. 
But then, before that, I didn’t know.

Now I’m halfway through Book three, and Jenni is slowly revealing all of the rest of her incredible story.  A story that starts in Book one, travels through Book two, and slips into Book Three with all the subtlety of a pack of hungry piranhas.  And only recently, has Jenni unveiled the final piece of the puzzle for Book Three – that sends chills down my spine.  I never expected that.
But then, I didn’t know.

I had wanted to introduce Jenni to you before this.  I finished Book one some time ago, but the editing process is taking me much longer than usual.  I wanted to have it out by the beginning of April.  I didn’t come close to making it.  I’d like to have it out by the beginning of May, but I don’t think I’ll make that date either.  I’m going to try to get it out by mid-May sometime, but I’m not going to try too hard.  I’m kind of busy with Book three at the moment.

I’m editing Book one again right now while I’m writing Book three, and I’m still finding so many little things to fix this time through it that there’s no way I can certify this as ready to read.  I want to do at least one more pass through it to make sure most of the errors are out of it.  Even then, there’s usually a lot of typos and things like that that my old eyes keep missing.  But I want you all to know, that I do try, and I try hard to get these stories as clean as possible.  But not only am I only human, but I’m an old human now.  And as an old human, I make mistakes.  I’m sorry.  But in the interest of trying to get things right, I’m delaying Book one until I feel better about the typos. 

But I guess there’s a bright spot too about delaying the launching of Book one.  Since I’m already well into Book three, that means there will be less time between when I can launch all of the books, and you WILL want to read all of them.  I guarantee it!

So I’ve delayed the launching of Book one of my Jenni series, because it’s taking me so long to edit the thing properly – mostly because I’m too busy writing the rest of the story. 

I thought I was writing a nice little murder mystery, but Jenni didn’t tell me so many things before I started.  But then when you meet her, you find there’s a lot that Jenni doesn’t want people to know about.

She didn’t tell me.  So I didn’t know.

No comments: