Friday, August 24, 2012

The Bet - Chapter 54 (Wednesday – week 8 Part 3 of 9)


The Bet
By Karen Singer

Chapter 54 (Wednesday – week 8 Part 3 of 9)

     One client later, Mel was again back at her desk.  She picked up her phone and dialed Cassie’s number.  She had to leave a message for Cassie to call her back.  But just before she was about to tackle something else, Cassie returned her call. 
      “Hi Mel.  What’s up?” Cassie asked.  “More changes for Sissy?”
      “Not quite,” Mel replied.  “Actually, I’m looking for a favor – if we need it.”
      “What do you mean?”
      “Well, you know we’re getting closer and closer to the end of our bet.  And Sissy is worried about how we’re going to decide the winner if things are looking really close.  So we’re asking for judges to make the decision for us – if it looks like we need them.”
      “Um…  Yeah, I guess I can do it.  But Mel, I gotta warn you, I’m just as likely to side with Sissy on this thing if it looks close enough.  So you may not want me to do this.”
      “That’s just it, Cassie.  What we want, me included, is for the judges to be perfectly honest.  To call it like it really is and not base anything on how they feel about either of us.”
      “So you really want it to be fair.”
      “Yes.  Exactly.”
      “Then I guess I can do it.  When do you think it will be?”
      “A week from Saturday.”
      “I don’t see any problem.  I’ll try to make sure my schedule is clear that day, just in case.”
      “Thanks Cassie. Oh, and Cassie, I was going to ask Sandy too.  In fact, I’m trying to get as many people to decide this thing as I can.  That way we can lessen the impact of anyone who seems to be too impartial.”
      “I get it,” Cassie replied.  “You’re selecting another jury.”
      “Um… something like that.”
      “No problem.  Do you want me to ask Sandy for you?  Although, I’m not too sure how impartial she’s going to be.”
      “No, I better talk to her myself.  Thanks though.”
     Mel hung up her phone.  They now had two judges.  So who to talk with next?  Someone who knew about the bet… obviously.  So that left Sandy, Robin, and Derek.  Just thinking about Derek brought a smile to her face.  She picked up the phone again and dialed his number.  When he answered, it sounded like he was in his car somewhere.  “Hi Derek.  I’m glad I caught you.”
      “Hi Mel,” Derek replied.  “I was just thinking about you.”
     Mel smiled.  “Great minds think alike, I guess.”
     Derek laughed.  “What can I do for you?  Take you out somewhere… away from Sissyface?” 
      “Um…  No.  Nothing like that unfortunately.  What I’m calling about is something else altogether.  “I’m trying to set up some judges for our bet in case it’s too close for us to figure out ourselves.”
      “And you want me to be part of it?  Sure!  No problem!  I’ll be glad to be a judge and tell the little shit that he loses.”
      “But that’s just it, Derek.  I don’t want you to do that.  We need people who are going to be totally impartial.  People who can do it honestly, without regard for how they feel about either of us.”
     Derek thought about that for a moment.  “I seriously doubt I can do that.  In fact, I know I can’t.  Look… the little shit asked for it, and now he’s got it!  And I still hope he keeps getting it!  End of story!”
     Mel was disappointed.  “Thanks Derek, but I better pass.  If you can’t be fair, then we can’t use you.  Sorry.”
      “No problem,” Derek replied.  “But if you can’t use me for that, maybe you can think of some other way to use me… like the way you did last night?”
     Mel laughed.  “Who used who?  God!  What a night!  I’m still yawning, and I don’t know how many cups of coffee I’ve had today.”
      “Me too,” Derek replied, “but don’t tell anyone.  So how about tonight?  Any chance you’re willing to get away yet?”
      “Sorry Derek.  Like I said, not till this thing is over with.  Then we can do anything you want – without Sissy.  But you’re always welcome to stop by my apartment anytime you want.  I do have a lot of things I need to do tonight though, but you’re welcome to come anyway.”
      “Are any of those things that you need to do like what you did last night?”
      “No.  Not even close.  I need to get Sissy back into ballet training again.  I’ve put it off way too long.  He’s going to be performing next weekend – he just doesn’t know how or where yet.”
      “Ballet practice?  If you don’t mind, I think I’ll pass!”
      “But he’s adorable to watch!”
      “Maybe for you, but I’m not sure I want to stomach anything like that tonight.  Thanks anyway.”
      “No problem.  Another time then?”
      “You can count on it.”
     Mel hung up her phone.  Derek was definitely out!  But considering the way he still felt about Sissy, that was probably a good thing.  She was sure he would probably mellow over time, but for now Sissy still bothered him.

     Chad was sitting on the floor of Robin’s cubicle finishing up his third bottle since he had gotten to work.  Once again Robin had started him drinking again in well under an hour. 
     He knew that break time was coming up in a few minutes, but at least today he wasn’t dressed like a hooker.  In fact, the only thing about him that he expected any of the women might want to talk to him about was his fingernails, which still spelled out SISSY.  And since the women had already seen his nails for the last two days, maybe they might not even mention it. 
     The one thing he wasn’t looking forward to about break today, was getting another cup of coffee.  After drinking three bottles just since he had gotten to work, he didn’t need a cup of coffee on top of them.  His bottle emptied and he made a small sigh of relief – which unfortunately alerted Robin that he had finished.
     Robin glanced at the time.  It was still a little early for them to go to the break room – by about five minutes.  So what should she do with him?  She looked down at him to figure it out and noticed that his thumb wasn’t in his mouth again.  “Why aren’t you sucking your thumb?” she asked.
     Chad mentally groaned as he moved his thumb to his mouth.  It looked like Robin was going to be after him to keep his stupid thumb in his mouth all day. 
      “Stand up,” Robin directed and waited till he was on his feet.  “We still have a few minutes before we can leave for break.  So till then, you can practice curtseying and putting your thumb back in your mouth. 
     Ugh!  Chad removed his thumb and curtseyed.  “Yes Robin,” he replied, then he curtseyed again and put his thumb back in his mouth again.
      “Just like that!” Robin told him.  “You can even say ‘Yes Robin’ each time so you get used to it.”
     This was the last thing that Chad wanted to be doing, but he had little choice in the matter.  He removed his thumb, curtseyed, said “Yes Robin,” curtseyed, and stuck his thumb back in his mouth again.  Then he did it again… and again… and again…
     Robin giggled.  Even dressed so normally, she could make him do things that showed her what he really was – a sissy!  She would still rather he wasn’t dressed so normally though.  But unfortunately, now was not the time for more fun things.  She went back to finish up some last few bits of work before break… while Sissy droned on and on in the background.
     Five minutes later, she and Sissy left her cubicle together, heading for the break room.  Sissy though, had to keep his thumb firmly in his mouth.  He didn’t get to remove it till they turned the corner where it was more possible for someone else to see him.  Most of the women hadn’t arrived yet when they got there.  They each poured themself a cup of coffee, looked longingly at the doughnuts, and headed for the table where the others were just beginning to gather. 
      “I see you had more sense in what you wore to work today,” one of the women already at the table commented to Sissy as they approached. 
     Chad could feel himself blushing… and peeing.  “Yesterday was just…” but he didn’t know what he could say about the outfit he had worn to work yesterday.
      “A bad case of judgment!” the woman finished for him.  “I hope you got it out of your system now.  And if you ever get the urge to dress like that again, maybe what happened to you at lunch yesterday will make you think twice about it.”
      “Oh, I don’t know,” another woman spoke up.  “I thought it was really… interesting.  I’m kind of disappointed that he wore something we’ve all seen before.”  She leaned closer.  “So tell me, did Derek like your outfit?”  She giggled as soon as she had asked.
      “Um…”  Chad wasn’t sure how to reply to that one.  “He didn’t mention it,” he finally said.
      “I’ll bet he loved it!” another woman added. 
      “He must have!” yet another woman replied.  “Yesterday he dressed like a tart.  Then he went and got Derek a cup of coffee.  He’s done everything so far to get Derek’s attention… except kiss him!”
     The women at the table suddenly erupted in a loud round of laughter.  Chad however, just blushed.  “It’s not like that,” he tried to argue when the laughter had died down.
      “Oh Honey, we’re not stupid!” one of them replied.  “We saw what you did.  In fact, we’ve seen you and Derek a number of times now.  It’s as plain as can be!”
      “So tell us,” another woman asked.  “Do you like kissing him?”
     Chad was aghast at her question.
      “Of course he does!” another woman replied.  “Why else would he go to all the trouble to dress so sexy for him?”
     While Chad blushed, Robin sat back and listened, letting her mind roam.  And what it roamed about was…  was there any way she could get Sissy to kiss Derek in front of the other women?  She could just picture him sitting on Derek’s lap at one of the other tables, kissing him on the lips.  She giggled because she knew that Sissy would hate doing it.  But she was more sure of how much Derek would hate it.  So unfortunately, it was never going to happen.  But… it was still fun to think about.
     But if kissing him was out, was there any other way she could make Sissy show his affection for Derek – and make it look real?  It would have to be something that wouldn’t get Sissy killed by Derek!  That was the big problem. 
     When she had walked into the break room she had looked around to see if Derek was there. She hadn’t seen him and she hadn’t seen him entering since.  But then it was more usual for Derek to be here in the afternoons instead – if he was available to come.  Could she think of something funny for Sissy to do with Derek before break this afternoon – just in case Derek showed up? 
     She barely heard a word of what was being said at the table as she happily pondered that question.

      “Hi Sandy.  It’s Mel,” Mel said into her phone the moment Sandy had answered her call.
      “What’s up, Mel?  Are we still on for tonight to work on Sissy’s ballet?”
      “You bet!  In fact, I feel bad about putting it off this long.”
      “Hey, you had a guy over.  I understand completely – although a guy isn’t exactly my dream date – personally.  I’m much happier with Cassie.”
     Mel laughed.  “I understand – but thanks for being understanding of me.  But that’s not what I’m calling for.  I’m kind of looking for a favor – if you can do it.”
      “Sure.  Name it.”
     But Mel was suddenly less sure about how Sandy would be able to handle what she wanted.  “Um… I just talked with Cassie about this too and she agreed.”
      “Cassie?  Her too?  What’s up?  You know that if Cassie is willing to help you, then I’m more than willing too.  So what’s happening?”
      “Well…”  But with Sandy, Mel wasn’t sure how to start – so she plunged in at the beginning.  “You know that the bet between me and Sissy is getting close to the end now.”
      “Yeah, and?”
      “Well… just in case it’s close – too close for us to figure out ourselves…”
      “Too close?  You’ve got to be kidding!  The guy has no control at all!  You’ve already won!”
      “Thanks Sandy, but, well, he still thinks he’s going to win this thing… and to tell the truth, I don’t really know how incontinent he is.  I mean, I’m forcing him to keep peeing all the time.  But what happens when I let up and he has the chance to hold back again and be normal?”
      “Him?  Normal?  Somehow I can’t picture it.”
      “But… just in case… humor me maybe.”
      “Okay, let’s say he has a chance.  So what do you need from me and Cassie?”
      “We’re looking for judges.  People who can make the decision for us if we think it’s going to be close.”
      “Heck, that’s no problem!  You already know how I feel.  I’m not too sure about Cassie though.  If it’s close, I think she may side with Sissy instead.”
      “But that’s just it.  I don’t want either of you to side with either of us.  I can’t use you if you can’t be totally impartial about it.  We need you to not play favorites – one way or another!”
     Sandy had to think about that for a moment.  “You’re serious, aren’t you!”
      “Very!”
      “You really want someone else to judge this thing for you, like, for real?  Win or lose?”
      “Yes.  That’s exactly what I want… what we both want.  So the question is, do you think you can do it?  Cassie said she could and I believe her, but I also know that you’d probably just as soon see Sissy lose.”
      “Well, that much is true.  I’ve never really thought about the possibility that he could really win.  I mean, could he?  Is it possible?”
     Mel sighed.  “Sandy, the truth is, that as far as I can tell, he’s just as likely to win as I am.”
     Sandy had to think about that for another minute.  “Then… I guess if you’re really serious about this, then I can be serious too.  Especially if Cassie has agreed to call it like she sees it too.”
     Mel actually breathed a sigh of relief.  “You’re sure Sandy?”
      “Yeah, I’m sure.  I’ll be glad to help judge you guys.  But… does that mean I can’t have some fun in the meantime?  I mean, you’ve still got a few weeks, don’t you?”
      “A little more than a week.  That’s it.”
      “That’s not much anymore.”
      “No, it’s not.”
      “Don’t worry, Mel.  If you need me to be serious, then I can do it.  Just as long as you don’t mind me having some fun with him before that.”
      “Sandy, as far as I’m concerned, you can have all the fun you want!”
     One more down, Mel thought as she hung up her phone.  They now had three judges, a good number.  There could be no tie with three.  But she still had to call Robin.  For Sissy’s sake, she had to include Robin in her request as well.  It was only fair. 
     She looked at her clock.  Where was that contract from Feinsbaum?  It should have been here already!  And she had to leave soon to run some errands and stop in for the final fitting on her new suits.  Asking Robin would just have to wait till after lunch. 

1 comment:

sarah penguin said...

Another embarrassing break time for Sissy! :)